The perfect fire risk. Recessed downlights installed by an “Alarm fitter”.
We were asked to investigate why the floor felt odd. This is what we found.
We then found 2 holes. The second was under a chest of drawers and remained undetected
A brief look in hole 1 was enough to turn the power off before proceding
OLD HEALTH & SAFETY PROVERB.... If it looks dangerous then it probably is! - This IS!
Unbelievable fire and shock hazard. The earth wires have been ignored - like a car without brakes, it works but won't be able to stop when required!
This is totally unacceptable. This bloke should stick to alarms!
See the red wire, its severed due to too many conductors and being over tightened
So we re-prepared the cables
Put them into maintenance free spring loaded connectors. 1 conductor per terminal.
Closed up the junction box and wire tied as a cord grip
Now finished with the proper cap for the floor